Saturday, August 31, 2013

Space Coast Half Marathon Training - Week 1

I'm baaaaaaaack!

This time around I am training for the Space Coast Half Marathon taking place on December 1st. There isn't a time limit for the half so I won't have a repeat of my failed attempt at Disney's Princess Half Marathon. Granted I am much stronger and fitter now than I was 2 years ago so things would be different, but I am looking forward to not having that time limit pressure during this half. I just want to do the best I can and cross that finish line.

So while I am doing half marathon training, I'm also continuing with outdoor boot camp classes 3x a week, Insanity Pro Team 1-2x a week, and I'm almost halfway through a 10-week Shaun T program called Focus T25 that is a 25 minute workout 6x a week (2x Fridays). Once my mileage gets higher, I am going to cut back a bit on some of the other workouts.

Lets get to the recap for this week!

Monday, 8/26

Boot Camp was lots of fast paced cardio, lunges, squats, push-ups, etc, but it was cancelled after 30 minutes due to downpouring rain. This was day 1 of training and I had planned to run 2 miles after boot camp. Since it was raining, I was going to go to the gym and run on the treadmill (which I hate!) but luckily when I get about 10 minutes away from the park, it stopped raining so I decided to run on the main street next to my neighborhood. It turned out to be a beautiful morning!


Total distance 2.01 miles

--Mile 1: 16:37

--Mile 2: 16:40

Wore my new shiny Asics! they are so bright!


My legs were exhausted all day, but I still kicked it up and gave my all during T25 cardio after work.

Tuesday, 8/27

I decided to skip Tuesday morning Insanity to let my tired legs recover.

T25 after work was total body circuit. I stopped modifying so much and truly pushed myself. It felt so awesome and I totally nailed it compared to when I've previously done this workout.

Wednesday, 8/28

Boot camp was an arm workout with weights that left my arms sore for 2 days.

Followed by an awesome run!

Total distance 2.03 miles

--Mile 1: 16:24

--Mile 2: 16:07


T25 after work was Lower Body Focus which is basically a ton of lunges and squats.

Thursday, 8/29

My legs were tired, so I decided to just go for a slow walk to get some movement in - I walked 1.48 miles in 30 mins.

I had to work late that night so I skipped T25.

Friday, 8/30

Boot camp was one of the hardest workouts we've had in a long time. It was kettlebell hell and it was awesome.

Since I skipped T25 on Thursday night and Friday is typically double day Friday (two 25 minute workouts), I decided to tack on Thursday's workout, so that's 75 minutes straight of focusing on intense workouts - ab intervals, total body circuit, and speed 1.0. It was hard, but I felt so strong and pushed myself until the very end. I was so very sweaty!

Saturday, 8/31

This morning I did Insanity Pro Team round 2. This round is such a challenge for me and I have to modify pretty much all of it. I took it extra easy today since I did 4 really hard workouts yesterday and still has to run 2 miles after it was done. I left before the last block so I could try to get my run in before the sun came up. I got some crap from Wendy for leaving early but running facing the sun is a big difference than running just before the sun rises.

Running into the sun!


It makes me look like this LOL


Total distance 2.06 mile run

--Mile 1: 16:37

--Mile 2: 16:36

So that wraps up Week 1 of training! I'd call it a success.

Until next time!

6 comments:

  1. This morning I did 5K and eight stories of steps in the condo; a little tired like you when I was done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol about the sun!! You seem to be REALY pushing your body!! I'm proud of you but I also worry a smidge if it's too much! Do you think? At least you've been regularaly working out a long time so it's not as if this week is out of no where.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a set plan that is intense but I am listening to my body and resting when I need rest. (See Tuesday and Thursday). I have another rest day tomorrow where I'm not doing any formal exercise. I appreciate your concern though!

      Delete
  3. You are seriously kicking ass and taking names later! I'm so in awe of your determination!! Can you send me your training plan for the half? I need some sort of plan to stay on after my 10k in October. And who knows...maybe, just maybe, I'll show up at the Space Coast half. I'm kind of curious....but still not sure I'm ready for a half yet....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm out of town now until Monday evening but remind me if you remember and I'll send it over. I know I got it through Runners World website. You put in your 5k time and your race you are training for, how many weeks etc and it customizes a plan for you.

      The space coast half unfortunately sold out :(

      Delete